You know how some weeks feel so much faster than others?? This isn’t it. I’m so ready for vacation it’s unbelievable. I just want to spend countless hours on the beach, totally undisturbed, and immersed in my book. But I’m at work…. so here’s to pushing the daydream back deep down for another 10 days.
So I always seen people posting about their weekly grocery haul. I figured it was interesting to see what other people keep in their fridge so I actually remembered to take a picture post-shop this weekend and thought I’d share with you what I bought and what I made from it!
Here’s to a special edition of “What I Ate Wednesday”. And as always, thanks Jenn for hosting!
Week of July 26th – August 1st:
I love to go grocery shopping on Sunday afternoons. Mainly because if I buy my groceries earlier on in the weekend I eat half of it before the week starts and then my meals are screwed. #AlwaysHungry.
I like to buy a lot of fresh produce (fruits, veggies), organic eggs, vegan cheese and other type of products every week. Some are staple items, some vary week to week. I try my best to change up what fruits and veggies I buy, but for the most part I will always have green apples and bell peppers in my cart.
So what did I buy…
– 4 Organic Green Bell Peppers
– Organic Celery
– Organic Spanish Onion
– Organic Spaghetti Squash
– 3 Organic Zucchinis
– 5 Granny Smith Green Apples (breakfast all day, err day)
– Bunch of Bananas : )
– Pre-Cut Watermelon – because I can only slice and dice so many things…
– Pre-Cut Honeydew Melon (see above)
– 2 cups Raw Unsalted Almonds – for Dateballs
– 2 cups Medjool Pitted Dates – for Dateballs
– 1 cup Unsweetened Shredded Coconut – for Dateballs
– Almond Milk
– 3 Peaches ICE drinks – I’m addicted
– 1 small container Vega French Vanilla Vegan protein powder – it was time to restock
– Single Packet Quaker Oatmeal – Steel cut, original flavor (another staple item, favorite mid-day snack)
– PB2 – another staple that needed replenishing… great addition to said Oatmeal
– Multigrain Ezekiel Bread
– 2 cartons Large Brown Organic Eggs
– Lemon Juice – because I’m lazy and like to just pour this into my water….
– Honey – another staple item that needed some restocking
– 2 single serve Cashew Butter packets – great to pack with me as part of an on-the-go snack
– 2 Mint Chocolate Chip Quest bars – I like to have a few of these in my refrigerator incase I end up going out on the weekend for a long time without any prospect of food… easy to pack and pretty macro balanced. Still prefer to make a different snack, but I take what I can get Always Avoid the Hangry
– 1 Pint Cookie Dough Arctic Zero Ice Cream … because duh
And because everyone knows my love of seltzer (in case you didn’t, you do now)…
I know I eat a lot of organic products, and that is most likely why my grocery bill is so high, but I usually spend around $110 a week on groceries. I do all my meal prep on Sunday (or Monday if I get lazy), chopping all my fruits and veggies, roasting any veggies, and making at least one “larger” dish that I can portion into my weekly lunch. My fridge is usually filled with tupperware come Sunday night, but by Thursday it looks bare and sad. Sometimes it amazes me with how much food I consume. I would have a killer compost pile if I lived somewhere with a yard : )
I’ve been trying to consume a lot more veggies as I find I fall into an All The Fruit mentality in the summer. While I know it’s natural sugar, I still like to limit my intake. And plus, this whole “managing my Crohn’s through diet” thing has led me back to a more organic, more veggies, more fruit, less bulky carbohydrate diet. And I don’t hate it.
I hope you found this as interesting as I find other peoples weekly grocery hauls. I’d give you a picture of my fridge but I can’t give away all my OCD tendencies just yet …
Hope y’all ate something delicious today! Have a fabulous HUMP DAY! We’re almost there folks!
Do you typically spend the same amount on groceries every week?
What was the last “new to you” item you bought at the grocery store?
Fairway? Whole Foods? Trader Joe’s? Stop & Shop? Where do you shop? I’m all about Fairway, but there’s a Whole Foods across from my office so that makes picking up last minute items pretty easy …. far too easy actually…